I stumbled onto this Pizza Rolls recipe by accident. I was experimenting with calzones and tried to roll one as if I was making a cinnamon roll. The roll was very tight and I baked it as one giant log to see what would happen. The results were not too great. I figured it would taste good but may not look the best. Substance over style. Then it hit me that I should have cut them and baked them as if they WERE cinnamon rolls. The results of the second go at it were awesome!
I started off with the Pizza Dough Recipe. The recipe does take some planning but the results are worth the time. After the dough has risen place the dough on a lightly dusted surface. Next, roll the dough out to roughly a 18 x 12 inch rectangle. Spread out the pepperoni and cheese evenly over the dough. Roll starting with the long edge. Keep as tight of roll as you can. The dough should be stretchy so it has some give.
Cutting the rolled dough
Butter a nine inch round cake pan and set it aside. Cut the pizza roll roughly every 1-1/2 inches to get 12 pizza rolls. Place the pizza rolls in the round buttered pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let rise for 15 minutes. After the rolls have risen, take the plastic wrap off and sprinkle one cup (or more) of mozzarella cheese on the rolls.
Baking and serving the Pizza Rolls
Bake the rolls for about 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees F. Bake until the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F. When the pizza rolls come out of the oven Turn out the rolls on a serving dish. Warm up some of your favorite pizza sauce. Spoon some sauce onto a plate and place the rolls on top of the sauce and serve! Enjoy!
- Pizza dough recipe
- 2 cups or more of quartered pepperoni slices
- 3 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Make the Pizza Dough Recipe
- After the dough has risen, place on a lightly flour dusted work area, roll out the dough to a rectangle measuring 18 x 12 inches. Spread the pepperoni and 2 cups of mozzarella cheese out over the dough. Next, with the long edge nearest you, roll the dough up into a log.
- Brush the tablespoon of butter on the bottom and sides of a nine in round cake pan.
- Next cut the log into 10 pieces and place them into the cake pan you just greased and cover with a piece of plastic wrap. Place in a warm area and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sprinkle with one cup of mozzarella cheese on top of the rolls and bake the pizza rolls uncovered for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and delicious or internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F.