This is a great pizza dough recipe and I love making pizzas at home. Honey sriracha chicken, pepperoni and sausage, chicken and artichoke, and many more. The one thing I thought I had down pat was the pizza dough recipe. After tasting some from local restaurants, I knew I had some work to do. The dough that I tried was soft, chewy, and delicious. Making pizza at home will be a snap with this soft and chewy pizza dough recipe. Homemade pizza, stromboli, or calzone will be on your table in no time!
The flour to use for pizza dough is 00 flour. It can be found in most grocery stores and online. I have used traditional all purpose flour in the past but it doesn’t turn out the same. The best way to measure the dough for this recipe is to weigh it. If you do not have a scale then the spoon and sweep method is best alternative. You can read about the spoon and scoop method on my measuring flour post.
Proving the yeast for the pizza dough recipe
Place yeast, water, honey, and half of the flour in a bowl and combine well. Make sure the mixture is smooth and completely incorporated. This will get the yeast moving and you can make sure the dough will rise! Cover the bowl after mixing thoroughly. Let the dough rest for an hour at room temperature.
Mixing in the rest of the pizza dough recipe ingredients
At this point the pizza dough recipe is really coming together! After the dough has proved for an hour, it is time to add the rest of the ingredients. Turn the dough out on a smooth surface to knead your dough on. Add the remaining flour, tablespoon of olive oil, and salt. Knead and incorporate all the ingredients until the dough is smooth and well combined. Gently form two dough balls. I use a food storage container to put the dough balls in to rise. Rub the remaining tablespoon of olive oil on top of the dough balls. Sprinkle a bit of flour on the bottom of your container and place the dough balls, olive oil side up, in the container. Let the dough rise for six hours at room temperature.
When taking the dough out of the food storage container after rising, try to take it out right side up. I usually dust the end of a spatula with flour and get it out that way. If you grab the dough with your hands, the dough may get compressed and harder to stretch.
I hope you enjoy this Pizza Dough Recipe! It is my family’s favorite!
Use the pizza dough recipe with the honey sriracha chicken pizza recipe!
- 15 ounces 00 flour or roughly 3 ⅓ cups with the scoop and sweep method
- ½ teaspoon dry yeast not rapid rise
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 9 ½ ounces water
- 1-½ teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Combine half of the flour, yeast, honey, and water in a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined. Scraping down the sides and combining all the ingredients.
- Cover and let the dough rest for one hour at room temperature.
- After the dough rests, add the rest of the flour, salt, and one tablespoon of the olive oil. Knead until dough is well combined and smooth.
- Form combined dough into two balls and brush remaining tablespoon of olive oil on both dough balls.
- Place a light dusting of flour into the bottom of an airtight container. Carefully transfer both dough balls to the container and let rise for six hours at room temperature.