This Italian sausage sheet pan is a quick, easy, and versatile recipe! The vegetables in this recipe can be added to or changed as you please. You can make it a vegetarian or vegan bake by just not adding the Italian sausage. When the roasted tomatoes burst with the spices and olive oil, it makes such a great sauce for the roasted vegetables. Whether you call it a tray bake recipe or a sheet pan recipe, this recipe is super easy and delicious.
Preparing the vegetables for the Italian sausage sheet pan
When slicing, dicing, or cutting the vegetables, it is important to remember their cooking times. The sweet potatoes need to be cubed small so they bake as long as the thin banana peppers need to. The picture in this post can give you a guide to how to cut up the vegetables. You can leave out veggies you don’t like or add new ones such as mushrooms, garlic cloves, carrots, parsnips, or red cabbage!
Mixing and layering the sheet pan
You can also take all the ingredients , except for the sausage, and mix them up in a bowl and then spread them out on a parchment covered sheet pan. Once the vegetables are set we are ready to layer the sausage. flatten out pieces of sausage with your hands and lay them on top of the vegetables.
The vegetables will get flavor from the sausage as it cooks. The sausage drippings, olive oil, spices, and the bursting of the tomatoes make for a great sauce once the bake is done. It is a great sheet tray to serve with pasta. Here is my fresh pasta recipe to try!
- 1 sheet tray
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut to ½ inch cubes
- ½ medium red onion sliced
- 3 bell peppers sliced
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound brussels sprouts cleaned and halved
- 6 ounces banana peppers
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper and sea salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 pound italian sausage
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Layer sweet potatoes, onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, brussels sprouts, banana peppers, olive oil, and spices. (see notes)
- After layering, mix to combine the ingredients.
- On top of the combined ingredients, spread out the Italian sausage in thin pieces.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes or until sausage reaches temp of 165 degrees.