My wife and I were looking for a twist on a loaded potato skins recipe. We decided that a loaded hash browns recipe would be a great idea. Cheese, bacon, sour cream, and green onions make these just wonderful and a make a great potato side dish! Instead of baking potatoes, frozen shredded potatoes are used. The loaded hash browns recipe is open to many additions to it. Different cheeses, meats, and veggies.The choice is yours! Click here for a short video on making the Loaded hash browns recipe
The hash browns for the loaded hash browns
The hash browns I used were shredded hash browns. I bought them at the local grocery store. The hash browns should be kept to an 8 x 8 inch area if you are using a baking sheet. The first step of baking the hash browns is to brown and crisp them. Once the hash browns are crisp, they are ready for the cheese and bacon!
The cheese and bacon
The addition of the cheese will help to keep the hash browns together. Once cooled it will harden to hold the hash brown pieces. Add the cheese in one layer to cover the hash browns. The bacon goes on next in one layer. Once the bacon has been added, you can put the baking dish back in the oven for about 7-10 minutes to melt the cheese. Take the hash browns out and let cool for about 10 minutes. Slice into 4-6 squares once cooled and add the sour cream and onions if you would like. If you need another appetizer, try the Nashville hot chicken dip!
Please follow, like, and subscribe, on Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook! Thanks!
- 1 8 x 8 baking dish
- 3 cups of shredded frozen hash browns
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- ⅛ teaspoon each of sea salt and cracked pepper
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese
- 3 pieces of cooked and diced bacon
- 6 tablespoons of sour cream optional
- 1 scallion sliced into small pieces optional
- In an 8 x 8 pan lined with parchment paper, layer the shredded frozen hash browns on the bottom of the pan. (see notes)
- Brush the melted butter on top of the shredded hash browns.
- Bake hash browns at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- After the hash browns have baked and are browned, sprinkle the cheese on in a single layer, then layer the bacon. Place back in the oven for 7-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Let the hash browns cool for about 10 minutes. The cheese should cool and make the whole bake one connected piece.
- Cut the hash browns into 4-6 pieces.
- Serve with sour cream and scallions.