This chai shortbread recipe is such a time saver recipe! Measure, blend with a food processor, roll out, chill, and bake. One piece of equipment to cleanup! It is one of the most delicious shortbread and easiest shortbread I have ever made. The chai spice blend makes this shortbread recipe great on their own or with a cup of tea.
The spice blend for the chai shortbread recipe
I have come across many different chai spice blends. This blend of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and allspice seemed to bake well with the shortbread. I normally use Vietnamese cinnamon and had to adjust the bland a bit because Vietnamese cinnamon packs a punch. I tried a few other blends and I (and my family) feel that this one is one of the better ones.
Blending the ingredients
Place the sugar and the butter into a food processor and pulse until the ingredients are blended. Be sure to scrape the sides down occasionally. After the butter and sugar are blended, add the spices and the flour. Blend the ingredients, scraping down the sides occasionally, until the mixture holds together when pressed with your fingers.
Wrapping and chilling the dough
Place to pieces of plastic wrap in the shape of a cross and place the mixture in the center. Press the dough into a one inch thick square in the middle of the cross shape. Fold the ends of the plastic wrap over the dough and roll the dough, while in the wrap, into a 1/2 inch square. Refer to the video to see how this is done. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Rolling and baking the chai shortbread recipe
I use 1/4 inch square dowels as guides to roll out the dough. Once the dough has chilled, place the dough in between pieces of parchment. Place the dowels on top of the parchment and roll out the dough. Cut the dough and place the cut shortbread on a lined baking sheet. Chill the cut pieces in the fridge for about 10 minutes. After chilled bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
If you like my chai shortbread, please visit my cookies page for more ideas!
- 1 food processor
- 9 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- 1 ⅔ cups of 00 flour or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon of ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon of cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon of allspice
- Place sugar and butter into a food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Add flour, cinnamon, ground ginger, cardamom, and allspice and pulse until mixture holds together.
- Place the dough mixture onto a large piece of plastic wrap and wrap with a little room to roll it out into a 1/2 inch thick square.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough to ¼ inch. Cut cookies out and chill before baking for about 10 minutes. See notes
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, rotating the baking tray midway through the baking time.