You will feel warm and cozy after trying these pumpkin spice shortbread. The prep time is only 15 minutes and 15 minutes to bake with a little chilling time. The dough can be made a day or two ahead of time and up to a week if you freeze it. I was looking to make a fall cookie. I swapped out pumpkin spice mix for the chai spices in my chai shortbread recipe and behold! A new recipe was born! I tried them out at home and they were well received. My co-workers gave them rave reviews also.
Blending the pumpkin spice shortbread
Place the sugar and the butter into a food processor and pulse until the ingredients are blended. Be sure to scrape the sides down occasionally. After the butter and sugar are blended, add the pumpkin pie spice and the flour. Blend the ingredients, scraping down the sides occasionally, until the mixture holds together when pressed with your fingers.
Wrapping and chilling the dough
Place to pieces of plastic wrap in the shape of a cross and place the mixture in the center. Press the dough into a one inch thick square in the middle of the cross shape. Fold the ends of the plastic wrap over the dough and roll the dough, while in the wrap, into a 1/2 inch square. Refer to the video to see how this is done. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Rolling and baking the shortbread
I use 1/4 inch square dowels as guides to roll out the dough. Once the dough has chilled, place the dough in between pieces of parchment. Place the dowels on top of the parchment and roll out the dough. Cut the dough and place the cut shortbread on a lined baking sheet. Chill the cut pieces in the fridge for about 10 minutes. After chilled bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
If you like my pumpkin spice shortbread, please try some of my other cookie recipes!
- 1 food processor
- parchment paper
- baking sheet
- 9 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- 1 ⅔ cups of 00 flour or all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- Place sugar and butter into a food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Add flour and pumpkin pie spice then pulse until mixture holds together.
- Place the dough mixture onto a large piece of plastic wrap and wrap with a little room to roll it out into a 1/2 inch thick square.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough to ¼ inch. Cut cookies out and chill before baking for about 10 minutes. See notes
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, rotating the baking tray midway through the baking time.