This post will show you how to make a chocolate mousse recipe. Light as a cloud with intense chocolate taste! This simple chocolate mousse recipe is an easy mousse recipe that will be a family favorite recipe! Mousse can be used in cakes, tarts, or just in a custard cup on its own! This recipe just involves a few steps and it will be a chocolate recipe you make over and over again. It’s a great chocolate dessert! The layering of salted caramel and chocolate mousse make are great for tarts!
Melting the chocolate for the chocolate mousse recipe
Over a double boiler, or a heat resistant bowl resting over a pot with water on medium heat, mix the butter, 2 tablespoons of water, and the chocolate. Start mixing when you see the chocolate and butter start to melt. The mixture will look odd at first but will eventually come together in a smooth and silky blend. Let the mixture cool once the mixture has come together.
Warming the egg mixture
The same double boiler used for the chocolate mixture will be used for the egg mixture. Mix the egg yolks, water, and sugar. Keep mixing until the mixture reaches about 160 degrees F or is very warm to the touch. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool a bit once you have reached this point. After the mixture has cooled combine the egg mixture and the chocolate mixture until well blended and smooth. Set aside to cool.
The whipped cream
The heavy whipping cream must be very cold when you make the whipped cream. I chill the bowl, whisk, and the cream to make sure to get the best results. Make sure to whip the cream to soft peaks for the chocolate mousse recipe. Please watch the video above to see what stage of whipping soft peaks are.
Bringing it all together
Fold in the whipped cream into the chocolate in two stages. Keep folding until you do not see any white streaks from the whipped cream. Keep the chocolate mousse in the same bowl and cover with plastic wrap if you plan on using it for another recipe. If you plan on serving it in custard cups or other bowls, now is the time to spoon it into the other bowls and cover with plastic wrap. Enjoy!
Please follow, like, and subscribe, on Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook! Thanks!
- 1 Double boiler
- 4 ounces of good dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 4 tablespoons of water divided
- ⅛ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of very cold heavy whipping cream
- Over a double boiler, or a heat resistant bowl over water heated at medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of water, chocolate, salt, and butter together. (see notes)
- Keep stirring until the mixture is combined and smooth.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Over the same double boiler, Heat the 2 egg yolks, sugar, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of water.
- Keep whisking the mixture until it reaches 160-170 degrees F or is very warm to the touch. Do not let the eggs scramble.
- Combine egg mixture and chocolate mixture until well combined. Let the mixture cool to about room temperature. (see notes)
- Whisk the very cold heavy whipping cream to soft peaks. (see notes)
- Next, fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture one half at a time.
- Once mixed, spoon into desired bowls and cover with plastic wrap. Let chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Leave a Reply