This Swiss Cheese Chicken Bake Recipe is one of our go-to recipes that goes together in a flash for small or large crowds. I put two trays together in about 20 minutes. One was a double layer and the other a single layer.
Preparing the chicken
To make the chicken thin and workable cutting the chicken on the bias and pounding it thin is necessary. Cutting the chicken on the bias is not difficult at all. This technique is basically butterflying the chicken. After butterflying, just finish cutting all the way through and you end up with two pieces. You then take the two pieces and place them between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat tenderizing mallet, pound the chicken so it is this but not torn. Repeat this for all the pieces of chicken you are using.
Cream of chicken soup and white wine (or chicken broth) make up the sauce. Mix these two ingredients until they are well combined. There is not much of a taste difference in taste between the wine and broth when the dish is cooked. Whatever you have on hand will work fine.
Layering the swiss cheese chicken bake recipe
The Swiss Cheese Chicken Bake Recipe comes together pretty quickly. The layering of the dish is very easy once you have all the ingredients prepared. You can either make the bake with one layer of chicken or two. I have baked both and find they are both delicious.The pounded chicken goes in first. Layer the bottom of the dish with the chicken and then spread on the sauce mixture.
The cheese goes on next. I am a cheese lover and enjoy when the swiss crisps up in the oven. So sometimes I get heavy handed with the cheese. You can make it however cheesy you like. If you are adding another layer of chicken then repeat the process again through the addition of the cheese.
The stuffing mix tops off all the layers. The stuffing mix adds a seasoned, salty, crunchy addition to the bake. Drizzle the melted butter over the stuffing mix as evenly as possible.
If you like one pot bakes, try our Italian Pasta Bake Recipe!
Please follow, like, and subscribe, on Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook!
- 4 chicken breasts cut on bias and pounded thin
- 12 4"x 4" slices of Swiss cheese
- 2 – 10.5 oz cans of cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup of white wine or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups of stuffing mix
- 6 tablespoons of melted butter
- After cutting chicken on bias you will end up with eight pieces.
- Mix 2 cans of soup and wine or broth together
- Place 4 pieces of chicken on bottom of 9×13 baking pan.
- Pour half of soup mixture on top of chicken.
- Place 6 pieces of cheese on top of chicken and soup mixture.
- Repeat for top layer.
- Pour stuffing mix on top layer.
- Pour melted butter over stuffing mix.
- Bake at 350 F for 35-45 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees fahrenheit.