Pepperoni bread is a great appetizer for your holiday get together or your football party. Kids love it too. Only 40 minutes from start to finish! This is a great make ahead meal also. I make these and freeze them for my son and daughter in college. All you need is pepperoni, cheese, pizza dough, olive oil, and some spices.
The dough for the pepperoni bread
The dough for the pepperoni bread can be purchased at stores such as Trader Joe’s or you can make your own. Here is a link to my pizza dough recipe. Either way you get your dough, all you need to do is to roll the dough out to 12 inches by 10 inches. Just make sure that when you roll it out that it is not sticking to the surface it is on. I roll it out on a piece of parchment paper greased with a touch of olive oil. You can look in the video posted above that it makes it easier to flip onto your pizza stone or baking sheet.
Topping and folding the dough
The pepperoni and mozzarella cheese need to be sprinkled on the dough evenly. This will ensure that each piece is nice and tasty. After taking care of the pepperoni and cheese, it is time to fold the dough. The dough needs to be folded in thirds and one tip is to use the parchment paper to help you. The first fold is to take one-third of the dough and fold it over. The parchment paper can be used to fold or roll the dough so everything is tucked inside.
Once you get the dough folded over you can flip it over onto your pizza stone or baking sheet. Fold in the ends and pinch them close. Also pinch the seam made from rolling the dough so nothing escapes. I would watch the video to see how this is all done. Brush on the olive oil and sprinkle with the garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes.
Freezing the pepperoni bread
I froze a pepperoni bread that was not cooked, oiled, or seasoned. Place it uncovered on a parchment lined baking tray and place it in the freezer for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, wrap it well and place it back in the freezer. This is flash freezing. To cook a frozen loaf just thaw completely, brush on the olive oil, sprinkle with spices, and bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes. I kept one in the freezer for two months. I am sure they will be good for up to three months.
- 12 ounce pizza dough
- 2-3 ounces of sliced and quartered pepperoni
- 8 ounces of shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- On a piece of lightly oiled parchment paper, roll out pizza dough to 12 inches x 10 inches.
- Spread pepperoni out evenly over dough then sprinkle cheese over pepperoni evenly.
- Fold one third of the long side of the dough towards the middle. Then fold again to complete the roll. Refer to the video to see how this works.
- Using the parchment paper, roll over onto your pizza stone or baking sheet. Fold up and pinch close the ends and pinch close the seam to keep cheese from escaping.
- Brush olive oil over the top. Then sprinkle on garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper over the top.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes