This is an easy sloppy joe recipe that’s sure to please! You can even use turkey for turkey sloppy joe. An easy kid’s meal and a great weekday meal recipe too! When I was a kid I was not a huge fan of sloppy joe. I have learned to love it though. You can use our Memphis bbq sauce or your favorite bbq sauce. You can also use ground turkey instead of ground beef! There are loads of options for this recipe! It comes together in no time. The recipe can be doubled for bigger crowds or to have leftovers throughout the week.
Cooking the onions, garlic, and spices
Place the onions, butter, garlic, and spices in a large skillet over a medium heat. Cook the onions until translucent. Make sure to keep an eye on the garlic so it does not burn. This should only take about 10 minutes.
The ground beef in the easy sloppy Joe recipe
Cook the ground beef with the onion mixture until browned. Drain all the liquid except for about 2 tablespoons. Next add the tomatoes and the barbecue sauce. Keep cooking until you reach your desired thickness. The liquid will evaporate as you continue to cook the sloppy Joe.
This recipe is a very easy recipe to make. However, it is vital that you keep your eye on it to get the texture you would like. There is a lot of simmering and thickening. The texture that you want to get can come up on you quickly!
The fire roasted tomatoes, chili powder, and barbecue sauce, really add tons of flavor to this Easy Sloppy Joe Recipe. The chili powder is optional but my family is big fans of it. We use chipotle chili powder and it has replaced our standard chili powder. I hope you make this easy sloppy Joe recipe your own and share it with your loved ones!
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed black pepper
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 diced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 – 14.5 oz can of drained fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of barbecue sauce
- Place chopped onion, diced garlic cloves, and spices with butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until somewhat translucent. About 10-12 minutes
- Brown ground beef with onion and garlic mixture Drain all but roughly 2 tablespoons of liquid from the pan and place browned ground beef mixture in a dish and set aside.
- Next add tomatoes and barbecue sauce to skillet and reduce over medium heat. About 10-12 minutes.
- Add browned ground beef and simmer on medium low for 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally. Serve when the mixture achieves desired thickness.