Before I made the mushroom and zucchini roll ups recipe, I was trying to come up with a filling for ravioli. I had three usable things in my fridge: mushrooms, asiago cheese, and ricotta cheese. Another trip to the grocery store was not a welcome event. I whipped together the filling. It was incredible! That is when the zucchini idea came up. My family flipped over them! The great thing is they come together in no time! It can be a main dish recipe or an appetizer recipe!
The most effective way to slice the zucchini is by using a mandoline. A mandoline is a better way to slice and dice. Be very careful using it! The blades are very sharp! Use a sharp knife if you do not have a mandoline. Place the zucchini on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush on a very thin layer of olive oil on top of the zucchini. Bake at 325 for 5 minutes until soft and workable. You may have to bake the zucchini in batches.
The mushroom in the mushroom and zucchini roll ups
Chop up and cook the mushrooms with the butter and salt and pepper. It takes about 15 minutes for them to become soft. When the mushrooms have cooled, process them to a thick paste with the asiago and ricotta cheeses. It is as easy as that! I have a ricotta cheese recipe on my site you can make at home!
Rolling and filling
Spread the tomato sauce of your choice on the bottom of the 9 x 13 pan. Most pasta sauces should work just fine. I have only tried tomato sauce. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling on one end of a piece of zucchini. Then roll it up and place it in the pan with the tomato sauce. I have found that three across and six down the pan works best. Once you have repeated the rolling with all 18 pieces, sprinkle your favorite melty cheese on top.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. I hope you enjoy this zucchini mushroom roll ups recipe!
This recipe makes a great appetizer! Try some of our other appetizers for your next party!
- 18 zucchini slices sliced thin on a mandoline or with a knife
- 8 ounces shredded asiago or parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese about a cup
- 8 ounces of cleaned and chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ½ teaspoon each of sea salt and black pepper
- 2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 cup of mozzarella or another melty cheese
- Place zucchini slices on a parchment lined baking sheet and brush with a very thin layer of olive oil.
- Place in a 325 degree F oven for 5 minutes. Just enough to get warm and workable
- Place chopped mushrooms into a pan with the butter, salt, and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are soft.
- After mushrooms cool, place mushrooms, asiago, and ricotta into a food processor. It will resemble a thick paste when done.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the bottom of an oven safe 9 x 13 pan.
- Place a heaping tablespoon full of the mushroom and cheese mixture on the end of a piece of zucchini and roll it up. Place in the pan with tomato sauce. Repeat with all 18 pieces.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella or other melty cheese on top and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes.