We first made the barbecue shrimp bread bowls about 25 years ago. The bbq shrimp bread bowls can be used as a main course or an appetizer. The recipe is very versatile! So many different types of bread and cheese can be used. Sourdough, whole wheat, rye bread, or my easy buns recipe. Cheddar, monterey, or swiss cheese! The barbecue shrimp bread bowls come together very quickly. You can have it ready in no time as a quick dinner solution!
The bread for the barbeque shrimp bread bowl
The size should be the size of a hamburger bun, but the type of bread is up to you! I am partial to my bun recipe but I usually use sourdough buns for this recipe. Not only do the sourdough buns taste great but they can stand up to the bbq sauce and keep their shape. The choice is up to you what to use!
Putting it all together
Shelled and deveined shrimp can be purchased at most stores. I used a 12 ounce bag of medium sized frozen shrimp to make it easy. 12 ounces of medium sized shrimp filled all six buns just fine. Coat the shrimp with the olive oil, sea salt, and cracked pepper. Roast on a parchment lined baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 4 minutes or until the shrimp are pink.
Scoop out bread to form a bowl. I usually save the bread that has been scooped out to make bread crumbs or croutons. When scooped out, place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
The barbeque sauce is your choice. I have a Memphis bbq sauce on my site, or you can use your favorite. I have also used buffalo wing sauce for the shrimp bread bowls. Mix the bbq sauce with the shrimp in a separate bowl. Once mixed, place the bbq and shrimp mixture into the bread bowls. Spread cheese on top of the shrimp and bake for around 8-10 minutes. Enjoy!
Please follow, like, and subscribe, on Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook!
- 12 ounces of medium shelled and deveined shrimp
- ½ teaspoon each of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 buns hamburger size
- 2 cups of barbeque sauce or buffalo wing sauce
- 2 cups of shredded cheese cheddar or monterey jack
- Place shrimp in one layer onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Coat shrimp with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Roast shrimp for about 4 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- When the shrimp are done, place them into a bowl with the barbeque sauce or buffalo sauce and mix well.
- Scoop out the buns to hold the shrimp and arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place the coated shrimp with some extra sauce into the scooped out buns and cover with shredded cheese.
- Bake shrimp bowls for about 8-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted to your liking.
Leave a Reply