Our fast and easy buns recipe is a hit at our house and can take on many forms. Buns, rolls, pizza dough, pretzels, hoagie rolls, and much more! This is an easy dinner roll recipe! A stand mixer works great with this recipe, if not, then a bowl, wooden spoon and clean hands will do the trick. Your guests will love your buns!
The yeast for the easy buns recipe
Proving the yeast is essential to the success of your breads and buns. If the yeast is not active or alive then your bread will not rise. When combining the yeast, honey, and warm water, the yeast will feed on the sugar and expand. This YouTube time lapse video will show you what to look for.
Once you see this happening it is time to add the rest of the ingredients. Make sure to knead the dough so it is a soft smooth dough.
The topping for the buns
In a small bowl, I put the topping ingredients in and put them in the microwave for a bit. I usually spread the topping on before I put the buns in, at the halfway point, and after I bring them out of the oven. This way you have a few layers of the topping that caramelize in the oven. By rotating the baking pan halfway through the baking time you will ensure even baking. Another option is to sprinkle a bit of sea salt on when they come out for that salty sweet taste! Make them your own!
I have planned the easy buns recipe ahead of time and have whipped it together at the last minute. We have had times that we just overlooked bread or a family member may ask ” Are you making the buns?”. That is the great thing about this recipe. Tasty buns any time you want them! Enjoy!
The easy buns recipe goes great dipped in the basil pistachio pesto!
Please follow, like, and subscribe, on Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook!
- One packet or 2 ¼ teaspoons of dry yeast
- 1 cup of warm water around 100 degrees F
- 2 tablespoons of sugar or 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 ½ cups of unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pour warm water in a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Then add the sugar (or honey), and yeast. Mix gently.
- After about five minutes you should see the yeast starting to react with the sugar. Once you see this you are on your way!
- Add flour and mix until dough comes together.
- Knead for five minutes with dough hook or by hand. The dough will be somewhat sticky. Form into a ball.
- Spread the olive oil on dough ball, place into a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel.
- Let dough rise in a warm area (I use the microwave. Don’t turn it on.) for 60 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and divide into eight pieces.
- Roll each piece into a bun and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Cover buns with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rise for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While rising, make the topping by melting the butter and then adding the water and sugar. Mix well. You will be brushing the mixture on three times while baking the buns.
- After 10 minutes, rise brush mixture on buns and place in oven and bake for eight minutes. After eight minutes, rotate baking sheet and brush on more mixture. Bake for an additional 4-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with sea salt (optional).
[…] can make the easy buns recipe to have with the roasted red pepper […]
[…] A great recipe to make with the roasted bell peppers and feta is the Easy Buns Recipe! […]
[…] So many different types of bread and cheese can be used. Sourdough, whole wheat, rye bread, or my easy buns recipe. Cheddar, monterey, or swiss cheese! The barbecue shrimp bread bowls come together very quickly. […]