We were unhappy with the taste of refried beans out of the can so we made our own! The chipotle chili powder gives them a great kick at the end. (Refried beans really do not take a pleasant picture)
- 1 – 15.5 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 – 15.5 oz can of garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ cup of diced onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of butter melted optional
- Juice of ½ orange
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chipotle chili powder, cumin, and garlic and cook until fragrant. About a minute.
- Add black beans and garbanzo beans. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- With a potato masher or a large fork, mash beans.
- Add melted butter and mix thoroughly.
- Add orange juice, mix, and serve.