We try a new Thanksgiving recipe every year. About 20 years ago we ran across this pumpkin cake dessert recipe. Our Thanksgiving has traditional recipes but we like to have new recipes sprinkled in to make new traditions. We wanted to try something other than pumpkin pie that year, we tried it, and loved it! This is a quick and easy dessert recipe!
Combining the base
The base is the mixture of the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs, and pumpkin pie spice. Just add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine! It couldn’t be easier! Just make sure you have a 9 x 13 baking pan greased and ready. Also make sure your oven is at 350 degrees F. Once your mixture is combined thoroughly, pour it into the greased 9 x 13 pan.
The topping of the pumpkin cake dessert
The topping is made up of an 18.25 ounce (or so) box of yellow cake mix, 3/4 cup of melted butter, and 1 1/2 cups of walnuts or pecans. The nuts are optional. Once you have poured the pumpkin mixture into the baking pan, sprinkle the yellow cake mix over the top of the mixture. Do not mix! Resist the urge! The mixture just sets on top. Trust me it works! I included a picture of how it looks in the recipe.
After the cake mix is sprinkled on, sprinkle the butter on top of the cake mixture. I included a picture of this also. The nuts go on next if you want to include them. After the nuts are on, bake the pumpkin cake dessert for one hour at 350 degrees F.
After the pumpkin cake dessert is finished baking let it cool completely before serving. We like to serve the dessert with plain whipped cream because the dessert is on the sweet side. Ice cream is also an option to serve with the pumpkin cake dessert! My site has a great vanilla ice cream recipe!
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ cup of melted butter
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 ½ cups chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Mix the first five ingredients until well combined and pour into 9 x 13 baking pan.
For the topping:
- Sprinkle dry cake mix on top of the pumpkin mixture that was poured into the 9 x 13 pan. Do not mix in.
- Sprinkle melted butter over the top of the dry cake mix.
- Bake for 60 minutes at 350 degrees F or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.