It is always nice to add a layer of goodness to a salad or sandwich. This pickled red onions recipe does just that! It makes a great burger addition! The recipe is ready to use in a couple of hours and only gets better over time. My initial idea was to make them for a Cuban sandwich. Then the flood of tacos, burgers, and wraps ideas came at me! I hope you enjoy it!
There are many options to this recipe. Peppercorns make a great addition! Dill and other herbs do too. Sliced jalapenos or crushed red peppers will add some heat to the pickled red onions!
This quick pickled red onions recipe is a staple in our house!
Try this with my two ingredient turkey burgers!
- One large red onion sliced very thinly
- ¾ cup red wine
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic sliced optional
- Place pour red wine vinegar, water, sea salt, and maple syrup in a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat.
- Stirring occasionally, heat mixture until well combined and salt and syrup have dissolved.
- Take off heat to cool.
- Place sliced onions, and garlic if using, in a mason jar or something with an airtight seal.
- Pour cooled mixture into mason jar and put the lid on tightly.
- Shake the jar a bit and place in the refrigerator. The onions are ready to use in about 2 hours. The pickled red onion recipe should be good for about 2 weeks. They are ready to use in about 2 hours.