It is always nice to add a layer of goodness to a salad or sandwich. This pickled red onions recipe does just that! It makes a great burger addition! The recipe is ready to use in a couple of hours and only gets better over time. My initial idea was to make them for a Cuban sandwich. Then the flood of tacos, burgers, and wraps ideas came at me! I hope you enjoy it!
There are many options to this recipe. Peppercorns make a great addition! Dill and other herbs do too. Sliced jalapenos or crushed red peppers will add some heat to the pickled red onions!
This quick pickled red onions recipe is a staple in our house!
Try this with my two ingredient turkey burgers!
Please follow, like, and subscribe, on Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook! Thanks!
- One large red onion sliced very thinly
- ¾ cup red wine
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic sliced optional
- Place pour red wine vinegar, water, sea salt, and maple syrup in a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat.
- Stirring occasionally, heat mixture until well combined and salt and syrup have dissolved.
- Take off heat to cool.
- Place sliced onions, and garlic if using, in a mason jar or something with an airtight seal.
- Pour cooled mixture into mason jar and put the lid on tightly.
- Shake the jar a bit and place in the refrigerator. The onions are ready to use in about 2 hours. The pickled red onion recipe should be good for about 2 weeks. They are ready to use in about 2 hours.
[…] such as Pommes Anna or Oven Roasted Potatoes Recipe. Soft tacos can also be used with the roast! Pickled Red Onions and Everything Sauce make great additions to soft tacos! The roast can also be mixed with pasta! […]