This spicy blush sauce recipe has been a family go to sauce for years! It is delicious and comes together very quickly! When my wife and I first got married she suggested many dishes that we tried and this was one of them. I had never heard of this spicy blush sauce at the time but was willing to give it a go. I have been making it ever since for my family and our guests! The combination of the red sauce and white sauce is incredible! This recipe is for about eight people.
I like that this recipe uses canned whole tomatoes. It is a real time saver! You can purchase high quality canned tomatoes at most grocery stores. I have not used fresh tomatoes with this recipe but I am sure they would work great! The canned tomatoes just have to be poured into a bowl with all the juice and crushed with your hands or another utensil. It is super easy!
The spicy part
My wife and I tend to like a little spice in our food. The crushed red pepper flakes are completely optional though! I feel that recipes are just starting points to make them as you like. The spice is completely optional. We have made this spicy blush sauce recipe and have left the spice out and it is still delicious.
Variations of the spicy blush sauce recipe
You can serve this over pasta with grated cheese. Serve it over chicken is another option! I have used this as a base for lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, and most other red sauce recipes. My family loves it and I hope that yours will too! Make it your own!
There are other great sauces and dressings on my site! Click here to try them!
- 2 – 28 ounce cans of whole tomatoes including liquid
- 1 teaspoon each of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup of half-and-half or cream
- 1/2 cup of basil leaves
- Open cans of tomatoes and pour into a large bowl. Crush tomatoes into small chunks with your hands or another utensil.
- Place butter, oil, sea salt, pepper, and onion in a large skillet and cook onion over medium heat until soft.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes to the same pan and cook until fragrant.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes from the large bowl into the same skillet. Stir to combine and simmer for about 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Add cream, stir to combine well, then simmer over medium heat for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in basil and simmer for another 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Find crushed garlic in sauce pieces and discard. (optional)
- Serve with pasta and grated cheese!