I was trying to come up with a make ahead breakfast burrito recipe so I made breakfast burritos ahead for the whole week! It’s a great make ahead recipe! When our son and daughter were home from college, we wanted to make sure they were getting a decent breakfast while we were at work. We made our usual breakfast burritos, flash froze them, and they turned out great! It only takes one minute to 1 minute 15 seconds to warm up in the microwave. Breakfast in a flash and our kids love them! This make ahead breakfast burrito recipe makes about 12 burritos.
Here is a link to a YouTube video of the make ahead breakfast burritos recipe
Sausage and egg mixture for the make ahead breakfast burrito recipe
Our son and daughter love the soft egg mixture in the make ahead breakfast burrito recipe! We try to make sure the eggs we cook come out soft and not overcooked. The way we do that is to not heat the eggs until they are all the way cooked but let the residual heat from the pan finish the job! Shutting off the direct heat helps the egg mixture from becoming hard and tough. Adding the cheese when the eggs are about half way done also helps!
The sausage we used was a turkey sausage. I will be trying to make my own sausage mixture. However, you can go meatless, add diced veggies, or add bacon!
Flash freezing the breakfast burritos
Flash freezing is so useful for this recipe. Just line a baking tray with parchment, set the filled burritos on the tray, and put them in the freezer for about an hour. It’s super simple! Make sure the burritos are not touching during the flash freezing process so they can be removed without any difficulty. I used tupperware, sandwich bags, or gallon sized bags after flash freezing. It’s a snap!
Another great breakfast idea is the banana cranberry muffins!
Here’s the link to my youtube channel. Please like and subscribe for other great videos! Thanks for visiting!
Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos Recipe
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup of cream
- 1 teaspoon each of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 12 ounces of sausage
- 12 ounces of shredded cheese I used Monterrey Jack
- 12 – 6 inch tortillas
- Crack all 12 eggs into a bowl and add cream and salt and pepper. Whisk well until combined.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet and add egg mixture to the skillet.
- Stir eggs in the pan frequently. Once eggs start to come together add cheese and sausage.
- Once cheese is melted and eggs are cooked take the skillet off heat.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Once egg mixture is cooled add 3 ounces of mixture to each tortilla and roll into a burrito.
- Place each burrito on the lined baking sheet.
- Once all burritos have been rolled, place baking sheet into freezer for an hour to flash freeze the burritos. After an hour is up, place burritos in baggies, tupperware, or wrap in saran wrap and freeze.