This easy spiced pork for anything recipe is a great make ahead pork recipe! It can be used for tacos, grilling, burrito bowls (pictured), or anything else you can think of! The pork marinades with orange juice, lemon juice, and spices. Then it is up to you how you want to cook it! It’s a spice rub recipe that goes great with chicken, pork, or shrimp! We use it at our house for burrito bowls and include my everything sauce recipe that takes my spiced pork recipe to a whole new level! You can watch my Youtube video here
The pork for the easy spiced pork
When I am making a pork dish that calls for cubed or diced pork I usually go for the boneless western pork ribs. The boneless western pork ribs are very versatile and relatively inexpensive. I have used this cut to make dinners for four of us for under $10. The pork ribs are usually in two pound packages at your local grocery store (at least here in Cleveland). Any cut of pork will work, but this is my go to. For this recipe, just cut the pork into one inch cubes and place them into an appropriate sized bowl.
The juices and the spices
The first step is to juice an orange and a lemon. Take the juices and combine them with the pork. Next are the spices. When I made this recipe I used a mix of ground and whole spices. Then I ground the spices together in a coffee grinder to a fine powder. There is nothing wrong with just mixing ground spices together in a bowl, and then mixing the spices together with the meat and juices. When you grind the spices to a powder however, the spices mix with the juices and forms a paste that coats the pork very well.
When mixing the pork, spices, and juices together, make sure to take some time mixing to make sure everything is well combined. After combining, cover the bowl with the pork mixture and place into the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
Cooking the pork
I cooked this easy spiced pork recipe in a convection oven for 10-12 minutes at 425 degrees F. The pork could be grilled, cooked in a cast iron pan, or in an oven. The choice is up to you. I was able to transfer this to a serving dish after the pork rested.
- 2 pounds of boneless western ribs cut into 1 inch cubes
- Juice of one orange
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon of allspice
- ½ teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- If possible, run spices together through a spice grinder or coffee grinder to get the spices as fine as possible.
- In an appropriate sized bowl, combine pork, lemon and orange juices, and spices. Mix until pork is coated very well.
- Cover bowl and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Bake in a preheated convection oven at 425 degrees F for 12-14 minutes or until pork reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.