I have always wanted to make a chicken curry recipe but never knew if my family would like it. I have a curry powder recipe that is easy to put together and is used with this chicken curry recipe. When I would watch The Great British Bake Off, the bakers would add curry to many of their dishes. The recipes would wow the judges and I wanted to see what I was missing out on. My wife and I love this recipe and we make it often. The nice thing about this recipe is that when things start going into the pot, it is just some occasional stirring. This gives you time to get other items ready for dinner such as rice or naan bread.
What makes a curry a curry?
Essentially what makes a curry a curry is the spice mixture. Curry comes down to a meat or vegetable dish flavored with a heavily spiced sauce. Currys vary by region and countries, but the underlying element is the sauce with a spice mixture. Over the years, different notes in curry of sweet, spicy, sour, and heat have adapted to the ingredients and cultural preferences of various regions. There are as many types of curry as there are people cooking it. Thailand, Japan, India, Jamaica, Indonesia, Afghanistan, the list goes on. Families all over the world have made their own traditions with their curry recipes. I have heard many people saying things such as “This is my grandma’s curry recipe”. So as always, make it your own!
My chicken curry recipe
My chicken curry recipe is a basic curry recipe. The world, literally, is your oyster when it comes to variations on the recipe. I am going to start trying and post more variations on curry that I try. I will also post some spice blends.
Please follow, like, and subscribe, on Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook! Thanks!
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tablespoons of curry powder divided
- 1/2 tablespoon of cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large bell pepper cut to around one inch pieces
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1-13 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch
- 2 tablespoons of cold water
- Place chicken in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of curry powder, cracked black pepper, and sea salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over a medium heat in a large pot or dutch oven. When oil is shimmering (it won't take long) place the remaining tablespoon of curry powder in oil and mix. Once the curry powder becomes aromatic, place chicken in and mix together. Place a lid on top and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes, pour in the chicken broth, garlic, ginger, onion, and bell pepper and cook for another 15 minutes with the lid on.
Leave a Reply