We started making the apple pear crumble pie about 20 years ago. I like pumpkin pie but we needed a different pie to add to the Thanksgiving table. I used the make ahead pie crust to make things a bit easier on our planning. The combination of apple and pear with the sweet crumble on top is just delicious. Then add a dollop of vanilla ice cream? It is next level goodness!
The apple pear crumble pie filling
This pie filling could not be easier! Just peel the apples and pears and slice them about 1/4 inch thick. Then, in an appropriately sized bowl, mix all the other ingredients together so the apple and pears are well coated. That is it. Pie filling is done!
The crumble on top
The crumble is super easy also. Combine all the ingredients in an appropriately sized bowl. With your fingers, massage the butter into the dry ingredients. A sandy crumble will form. This is the topping on top of the pie. You are all set to assemble.
Putting it all together
Place your pie crust in the bottom of the pie tin. Crimp the sides to your liking. Place the apple mixture in next. After the apple mixture is in place, sprinkle the crumble on evenly. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes. Check on the pie after 30 minutes to make sure the crust is not overbaked. After 30 minutes, check every 5 minutes or so to ensure a golden brown crust and the pie liquids are bubbly.
The apple pear crumble pie would go great with some homemade vanilla ice cream!
Please follow, like, and subscribe, on Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook!
- 3 granny smith apples or any other pie apple cut into ¼ inch slices
- 3 firm ripe pears
- 4.5 teaspoons of cornstarch
- ½ cup of packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of butter cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 9 inch pie crust
- ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons of butter cut into ¼ inch pieces
- Combine topping ingredients in an appropriately sized bowl and pinch the ingredients by hand until a sandy mixture is achieved.
- Combine apples, pears, cornstarch, cinnamon, and butter in an appropriately sized bowl.
- Place pie crust in a pie tin. Crimp the edges if desired.
- Place the apple mixture into the pie shell.
- Sprinkle crumble topping on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes. Check on pie after 30-35 minutes. Bake until crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling.
[…] The make ahead pie crust recipe is perfect for the apple pear crumble pie! […]
[…] forget to include my apple pear crumble pie for […]
Comments are closed.