This definitely is Our Favorite Meatloaf Recipe! We love the moistness of the meatloaf and the wonderful topping! The meatloaf is full of veggies which help keep it moist. This is one of the recipes that our son and daughter request when they get home from college. It comes together in no time! Just process the bread, then the veggies, mix in the rest of the ingredients and you are done! This is a quick and easy dinner recipe!
The bread and veggies in our favorite meatloaf recipe
This is very easy! The bread goes in the food processor first. Make bread crumbs out of the three slices of bread with the food processor. You can use whatever bread you choose. Place the bread crumbs in a large bowl and then move on to the veggies. I have substituted and added other veggies in the recipe. I have added bell peppers and mushrooms to the recipe as it is, and we all loved it. After the veggies are processed to a small dice, place them in the bowl with the bread crumbs.
The meat in meatloaf
We normally use beef in this recipe but you can use a meatloaf mix. A meatloaf mix is pork, beef, and veal. Also you can use turkey too. The veggies add enough moistness to keep the turkey from becoming too dry. Sometimes a turkey meatloaf can turn out super dry! You can mix it up however you like! Make it your own!
Forming the meatloaf and the topping
I form the meatloaf pretty flat. This way everyone can get some of the topping because it spreads over the whole top of the meatloaf. The topping is just yellow mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar. The brown sugar caramelizes as the meatloaf cooks. The mix of sweet and savory is wonderful! This is why this is Our Favorite Meatloaf Recipe! Enjoy!
Try our favorite meatloaf recipe with the Pommes Anna recipe!
This is just one of the great dinners I have on my site. Click here to try out some more!
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 3 pieces of bread
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 8 baby carrots
- 1 large stalk of celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon each of sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Place bread into a food processor and blend into bread crumbs. Place bread crumbs into a large bowl and set aside.
- Next, place onion, carrots, celery, and garlic into a food processor and process until finely diced.
- Place vegetable mixture into a bowl with bread crumbs.
- Next add ground beef, egg, and salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Let the mixture set in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Place the mixture on top of a parchment covered baking sheet and form into a loaf. See the writeup above for instructions for forming the mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees F
- After 20 minutes place the topping on top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until thermometer reads 165 degrees F