I had to clean out the fridge and came up with this chicken cake recipe. It is kind of like a chicken patty. They are made with three things that taste great together: Chicken, bacon, and cheese! I then found onion, bell peppers, and a batch of ranch dressing that I made. It hit me that I could make chicken cakes like crab cakes but without all the breading. The chicken cakes are a great make ahead meal!
The chicken and bacon for the chicken cakes
I chose chicken thighs because my family likes them. You can use chicken breasts or prepared diced chicken. I wanted to make this recipe low carb so I stayed away from any breaded chicken. Roast the thighs with a bit of sea salt and pepper then dice them when they are cooled. While the oven is still hot, I place the diced onions and slices of bacon on the baking sheet that the chicken was baked on and cook it for about 17-20 minutes. Dice the bacon after it is cooked and cooled. It is easier to cook and dice a whole piece of bacon than cook bacon that is diced ahead of time. The bacon is easier to control when it is whole.
Combining and making the cakes
This is an easy recipe to combine. Just place all of the ingredients into a large bowl and mix it up. I use my hands to mix the ingredients. They get to know each other a bit better that way. This way when the cakes bake they will stay together because the cheese will be evenly dispersed through the cake. When forming the cakes, form them like hamburgers and set them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake the cakes at 375 F for 18-20 minutes.
Serving the cakes
Some options for serving the cakes are on a hamburger bun. The picture above shows the cake on a bun with lettuce and ranch dressing. My wife had hers served on a bed of lettuce with ranch. Anyway you serve them I hope you love them!
This is just one of the great dinners I have on my site. Click here to try out some more!
- 2 pounds of cooked and diced chicken thighs
- 5 slices of cooked and diced bacon
- ½ large diced onion
- 8 oz of softened cream cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 2 diced bell peppers
- ½ teaspoon each of sea salt garlic powder, and cracked black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl that will hold all of the ingredients.
- When combined, place in the refrigerator and chill for about 20 minutes or overnight.
- After chilling, press the mixture as if it were a hamburger and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-20 minutes.