My family are chocolate mint fans! The chocolate peppermint cookies are a chocolate cookie dough, white chocolate chips, and candy pieces! It’s an easy cookie recipe! The chocolate cookie dough can be used as a variety of cookies and treats throughout the year. Just like my chocolate peppermint cookie sandwiches! A great Christmas cookie recipe for a cookie exchange!
The dough for the chocolate peppermint cookies
The first step for the dough is to sift the flour, baking soda, and sea salt and set aside. Next, combine the melted butter with the cocoa powder. This will hydrate the cocoa powder. After mixing and letting the mixture rest, combine with the sugars and combine. Make sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl to ensure nothing is left behind. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
The flour mixture should be added one half at a time. Mix until just combined being sure not to overmix. The white chocolate chips are next. Add the white chocolate chips and mix by hand (be sure to get the sides and bottom of the bowl) until just combined. Turn the dough out on plastic wrap or on parchment paper and wrap tight. Chill the dough for about 30 minutes.
Once the dough has cooled, place one tablespoon of cookie dough two inches apart on a lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees F. You can make the cookies as large or as small as you like. The cooking times will vary though.
The candy cane pieces
The candy cane pieces can be purchased already broken up. You also have the option of breaking them up yourself! As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle with the candy cane pieces. The amount is up to you. After the pieces are on, use your fingers or a spatula and lightly press them into the cookies. Pressing them in will help them adhere to the cookie. By adding the pieces at the end, the candy cane pieces will remain crunchy and not melt inside the cookie while baking.
If you like this recipe, please visit my cookies page for more ideas!
Chocolate chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1 ⅛ cups melted butter (2 sticks and 1 tablespoon)
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 cups of white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
- Combine melted butter and cocoa powder in a bowl and let set for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixer combine butter mixture and both sugars. Mix until light and fluffy. Making sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl occasionally.
- Next add vanilla extract and eggs. Combine well.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the white chocolate chips. Finish mixing with a spatula by hand.
- Let the dough mixture chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once rested, place one tablespoon of mixture two inches apart on a silicone baking sheet or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- As soon as the cookies are out of the oven sprinkle the broken candy cane pieces on the cookies.
- Let cookies cool a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Combining the melted butter with the cocoa powder rehydrates the cocoa powder for better mixing. Make sure to let the butter and cocoa mixture rest for 10 minutes.
- Make sure to let the dough rest in your fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, is the time to sprinkle the candy cane pieces on. The heat from the cookies will melt the pieces just a bit and they will stick to the cookies.
- The cookies are great even without the candy cane pieces!