We love this butternut squash soup recipe! The roasted butternut squash and carrots add so much flavor to the soup recipe. As does the roasted garlic! This is a great winter soup recipe!
Peeling and roasting the squash
I have found in the past that peeling squash can be a giant pain! I now use a method that makes it a whole lot easier! Just cut ends off the whole squash until pulp is exposed. Then microwave for 4-5 minutes. Be very careful, because it is very hot after it is done cooking. When squash is cooled it is very easy to peel and cube. Try to cube the butternut squash so that the pieces are somewhat the same size. It will ensure that the pieces roast at the same time. Smaller pieces may tend to get over done. To roast the garlic and shallots you can follow the link to the roasted garlic recipe.
Blending the butternut squash soup
If you do not have a large capacity blender, then I suggest blending the soup in batches. I have used this method in the past and it has been the best choice. Not a lot of cleanup. I have found that sometimes I do have to add cream or milk through the blending process because the soup may get a little thick.
Cooking the bacon whole then cutting it into bite sized pieces tends to work out better than trying to cook smaller pieces of bacon. Smaller pieces tend to be harder to keep an eye on and may burn more easily.
I hope you and your family enjoy this butternut squash soup recipe! The two ingredient turkey burger would make a great accompaniment to the soup!
Please follow, like, and subscribe, on Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook!
- 1 medium butternut squash. Peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes see note
- 1 large carrot cut to 2 inch pieces.
- 1 large bulb of roasted garlic see earlier post for how to roast garlic
- 1 large shallot
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt divided
- 1 tablespoon of crushed black pepper divided
- 1- 1 ½ cups of cream
- 2-3 cups of warm chicken broth
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from cooked bacon
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place cubed squash and carrot pieces on lined baking tray and coat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and ¾ of sea salt and pepper.
- Place garlic bulb and shallot on a piece of aluminum foil and cover with remaining oil, sea salt, and pepper. Wrap up garlic and shallot in foil.
- Place both baking tray and wrapped garlic and shallot in oven and bake for 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Cook bacon while veggies are baking and be sure to keep 1 tablespoon of bacon fat for soup.
- After the garlic bulb and shallot cool squeeze out the roasted garlic and peel the shallot.
- Place roasted squash, carrots, garlic, shallots, and tablespoon of bacon fat in a blender with 2 cups of warm broth.
- Blend until smooth and then add cream and blend. If too thick add more broth, or cream, or both until desired consistency is reached.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon