A co-worker asked about a chocolate cinnamon buns recipe. I chimed in and said that I would find one and make them. This recipe is the one that I made. I had not tasted anything like them before. These buns are definitely a unique twist on a traditional recipe! Here is a link to my YouTube video with my caramel sauce recipe being added to the buns!!
The most important part of this recipe is getting the dough right. I made a bad batch of the chocolate cinnamon buns and I did not knead the dough until it was soft. In addition, the air conditioning was on in our home and created an environment that was not warm and humid enough for the dough to rise properly. The next batch I tried, I kneaded the dough longer and placed the dough on our warm porch to rise. These two steps made for a great dough!
Rolling out and filling
Use a lightly oiled cutting board to roll out the dough to roughly 15 x 20 inches. The filling comes together very easily and spreads nicely over the rolled out dough! Then sprinkle the chocolate chips on the filling. There is a picture in the recipe to refer to! You can even use chopped chocolate!
Rolling up and cutting
Next, roll out the dough! Begin with rolling the long edge that is closest to you and rolling it into a large log. Measure out the log and mark every 1.5 inches or so. You want to end up with 10-12 rolls. Sometimes this takes a little practice! Cut the rolls out and place them in a lightly buttered nine inch baking pan. The buns need to rise while covered in a warm and humid environment for an hour.
I hope you love the chocolate cinnamon buns recipe as much as my family does!
Chocolate Cinnamon Buns Recipe
- 6 T butter softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of packed brown sugar
- 2 T cocoa powder
- 1 t of cinnamon
- 1 t vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup of warm water
- 2 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 3 ½ cups of unbleached flour use spoon and sweep method
- 2 tablespoons of cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of room temperature butter
Place ⅔ cup of water, sugar, and yeast in a mixing bowl. Mix and let set until yeast starts to bloom.
- Place the rest of the dough ingredients into the mixing bowl with the yeast mixture and knead until a soft dough is achieved.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic film
- Let rise in a warm humid environment for 90 minutes.
- The dough should double in size.
- Place all ingredients except for chocolate chips into a bowl and mix.
- After the dough has risen, place dough on a lightly greased work surface. Roll the dough out to roughly 15 x 20 inches.
- Spread filling on rolled out dough. Refer to the picture for guidance. Then sprinkle on chocolate chips.
- Starting with the long edge closest to you, roll the dough into a large log.